Thursday, January 20, 2011

 Bagamoyo
Man oh man is it hot...like I only use cold water in my showers and the water doesn’t even feel cold to me it’s so hot.  But it’s also absolutely beautiful, the flowers and the trees and the Indian Ocean, incredible!  The other volunteers are great too! Arriving with me are John and Kate from Scotland, Lauren from New York, Deirdre from New Jersey, and Heather from Canada.  On our way in one of the other girls goes “oh that’s kinda cute we’re John and Kate plus four.”  The three volunteers that were here when we got here are Kit from New York, Violaine who is French but lives in Connecticut, and Faye who leaves tomorrow but is 80 has such a youthful spirit and has lived all over the world...AMAZING!!!
The town is definitely a paradox of very wealthy and very poor...and the extremes are evident everywhere.  The house that I am staying in is beautiful though and extremely safe with guards on patrol 24 hours a day (which should make mom and dad happy).  Right now I still feel like I’m on vacation, it still hasn’t hit me that this will be my home for the next 8 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment