Thursday, January 20, 2011


Time Travel
Recently (although according to my parents this has been a life long problem that I suffer from) I have become extremely absent minded as a result I have forgotten deadlines, mixed up times, and have almost missed entire events.  My most recent blunder which could have also been potentially one of the worst ones I ever made was mixing up the time that my flight left for Tanzania.  For weeks and weeks I had been telling people that my flight left on Friday January 14th at 7:30pm.  Plans were in place for my parents to take me to JFK the day of my flight, for someone to watch over the dog in case my parents decided to spend the night in the city, and I conveniently was waiting to do some of my more important packing until the last minute (because I work better under pressure obviously.)  Well as it should happen for the few weeks leading up to my trip I had been having trouble sleeping, frequently waking up and feeling like I had forgotten something or was missing something but after checking and re-checking I thought I had everything done or at the very least accounted for.  Then the Thursday before I left I was sitting at lunch with my dad and all of a sudden got this sudden sinking feeling in my stomach...my brain screamed at me YOUR FLIGHT IS TODAY AT 7:30 NOT TOMORROW! I panicked, immediately went home and checked my flight itinerary... Friday January 14th departure 10:40am.  Whoooo! I breath a sigh of reflief for a single heartbeat and then realize that I need to tell my dad about my most recent blunder...and he is not going to be happy.  And of course he wasn’t but everything worked out and we left for the airport that night getting me to JFK in plenty of time for my flight which was delayed not once or twice but three times...figures.
But once of the plane...WOW...like no other airplane I have ever been on in my entire life.  Every seat had it’s own TV set into the seat in front of it and an outlet to plug anything in you like.  On the plane I was able to charge my phone, I watched four movies (Grown Ups, The Social Network, The Killers, and Twilight Eclipse).  I was fed three times, and really good food too, which I was skeptical of because the last time I ate of meal off an airplane it gave me food poisoning.  In an attempt to adjust everyone’s body time to the new time zone the lights went out in what felt like the middle of my day and the ceiling of the plane lit up with stars like the night sky (Harry Potter style like the great hall).  When I left JFK it was daytime, when I arrived in Dar es Salaam it was daytime...so basically I time-travelled...sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment