Thursday, January 27, 2011


 Carsick, Seasick, Sick Sick
Carsick: Oh man...Tanzanian drivers are chizi cama ndizi (crazy like bananas)!  Every time I get in a car my stomach feels like its on the roughest part of a roller coaster...it’s like riding the wildcat at Hershey Park with less safety features and for a minimum of an hour at a time... it’s absolute craziness!  So far I’ve managed not to throw up, which I am extremely proud of and attribute to the conditioning I’ve received going to and from the cave the last two summers...Camp is great for so many things!
Seasick: We went to Zanzibar this past weekend by way of ferry and I didn’t get seasick at all...twice now that I have been out on a boat in open water and felt fine.  But these two experiences lulled me into a false sense of security...On Saturday we went snorkeling on this tiny little boat and the Indian Ocean was doing it’s best to see how vertical out little boat could go without dumping any of us into the ocean.  Great fun.  I turned a lovely shared of green but similar to my crazy car rides I was able to hold down the breakfast and the minute the ocean calmed down I felt fine.
Sick Sick:  If asked I don’t think I’d be able to tell you the last time I had a fever but did I ever have one both nights we were in Zanzibar... you could feel the heat radiating off my skin from inches away.  Not good.  When we finally got home on Sunday, Momma Kate (this is what we call the mom from Scotland because she always reminds us to put on our sunscreen and has been teaching us all highly proper table manners and we call her Husband John is daddy John.  They’ve raised three children of their own and are expecting their first grandchild in June!) took one look at me and asked what was wrong, I told her about my aliments and she felt my head confirming that I did in fact still have a fever and insisted that if I woke up with one that I went to the hospital to get checked out.  I hate being sick when I have all the comforts of home...being sick here is downright miserable...   

No comments:

Post a Comment